A very big thanks to Drew of Drew’s Movie Reviews for nominating me for the Mystery Blogger Award, which has been gifted around quite a bit since its creation by Okoto Enigma. Since this is a new award for me, here are the rules for accepting it:
1. Put the award logo/image on your blog.
2. List the rules.
3. Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
4. Mention the creator of the award and provide a link as well.
5. Tell your readers 3 things about yourself.
6. You have to nominate 10 – 20 people.
7. Notify your nominees by commenting on their blog.
8. Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny question (specify)
9. Share a link to your best post(s)
So, three things about yours truly, other than my obvious pastimes of movies, poetry, and lists. Well, why don’t I answer in poem form, just because it’s what I do.
Since trivia’s my specialty,
One day I fully plan to be
A candidate on Jeopardy!
I’ve taken online tests, it’s true,
And once did get an interview,
But still must wait for my debut.
(Though I’m afraid that when I do,
I might lose what I thought I knew.)
My favorite sport is bowling.
It’s comfy, indoor fun.
I’m inconsistent with my score,
But so’s ‘most everyone.
How ‘bout a mini-list as well?
My top five poets, here to tell:
For number five, no buts or “ifs”
With Rudyard Kipling’s lyric gifts.
The fourth is Robert Service, known
For Yukon ballads all his own.
I’d love to see his verse become
A gold rush musical to hum.
And third is Dr. Seuss; don’t mock.
My love of poems he helped unlock.
The second’s Alfred Tennyson,
A lord with talent third to none.
My favorite poet, so you know,
Is Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
His life deserves a biopic,
So someone go and make one, quick!
And here are the questions to answer from Drew himself:
1. What is your favorite place you have visited?
Probably Helen in the north Georgia mountains, a favorite family vacation spot which is also where my parents honeymooned. The surrounding Appalachians are beautiful and peaceful, especially at the nearby Anna Ruby Falls. The Unicoi Lodge there is a fantastic place to stay, and there’s a restaurant a few towns over called the Smith House, which has the best family-style buffet you can imagine.
2. What would you do if you had a time machine and didn’t have to worry about the ill effects of time travel?
I would gather up artifacts I knew would be valuable one day, like ancient currency or original comic books, and meet as many historically famous people as possible to collect their autographs.
3. What was your favorite film released last year?
For sheer entertainment value, Captain America: Civil War
4. Why did you start blogging?
I had already compiled my Top 365 movie list just because I love making lists, and after a certain business venture crashed and burned and left me asking “Now what?”, my mom suggested that list as a potential countdown to write about. Adding poetry for each movie just seemed natural to set myself apart and keep me in practice with my writing.
5. If you could live in any fictional universe, which would you choose?
There are so many I would love to visit (Middle-earth, Narnia, Prydain, Amestris, Remnant, the Star Wars universe), but I wouldn’t want to actually live in any of those death-and-danger-prone lands. No, the most ideal fictional world seems to be that of Star Trek. Even though interstellar relationships aren’t ideal, it’s a whole lot better than most potential futures. Mankind is at least at peace with itself, and our advanced technology is such that exploration is our main goal. With holodecks and replicators close at hand, I would gladly live in that version of the 24th century.
For the mention of my best post, I’m personally proud of the poem I wrote for The Raven, an old horror-comedy that provided me an opportunity to rewrite Edgar Allan Poe’s classic poem from a different perspective but still the same meter. While that’s one of my favorites, I’ve noticed that my most viewed posts seem to be my list of Top Poems in Movies, my list of Na Na Na songs, and my rant about Urban Cowboy.
And as for my five questions for the nominees below, and anyone else who feels like answering…
- What film(s) do you love that others seem to ignore or not even know about?
- If you had to eat one food (or kind of food) for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If technology allowed us to live in an ideal virtual Matrix-world, would you choose that over reality?
- What one film do you think is vastly overrated?
- For a fun question, you have three paradox-free wishes that won’t come back to bite you (says a genie). What would they be?
And then my 10-20 nominees, who might very well have already been nominated before, but hey, what’s one more award, right? *drumroll please*
Rachel from Reviewing All 56 Disney Animated Films and More!
Thanks again to Drew for this award, and to all who take part!
Cindy Bruchman said:
Thank you so much for thinking of me! I’m flattered.
Sure thing! You deserve it. 😉
Violet of Violet's Veg*n e-comics said:
Congrats on your award and thank you for nominating us, we are honoured! This is a great fun post – I totally agree about choosing the Star Trek Universe – I would like to be on Voyager with Janeway 😀
You’re very welcome, and I’m glad to find another Voyager fan. Janeway rules!
Violet of Violet's Veg*n e-comics said:
Yes she does! 😀
Thanks so much and congratulations on your well deserved nomination 🙂
I love your answer as to why you started blogging 🙂
Thanks, Emma. At least I was able to put my compulsive list-making to good use. 🙂
I like your lists! 🙂
Glad to hear it! There are plenty more to come.
Thanks again for the nomination. I’ve just noticed that the rules mentioned above do not actually require the nominee to answer the questions posed by the person nominating you 🙂 You do not mind if I answer them here now? This is on top of the thank you post I will do on my blog.
1. What film(s) do you love that others seem to ignore or not even know about? Somehow I really love Head in the Clouds (2004) with Charlize Theron, Penelope Cruz and Stuart Townsend. I think emotionally this film really hit the mark.
2. If you had to eat one food (or kind of food) for the rest of your life, what would it be? Hard to say, I’d definitely choose something very healthy.
3. If technology allowed us to live in an ideal virtual Matrix-world, would you choose that over reality? Never; Sad experiences are part of what we call life, these are what make us human, strong and sympathetic. I would never trade pain or missed opportunities for anything. Without real non-ideal circumstances we would never know the difference and what is to be truly happy. I think it is foolish to trade reality for a desire granted.
4. What one film do you think is vastly overrated? Inarritu’s “Birdman”.
5. For a fun question, you have three paradox-free wishes that won’t come back to bite you (says a genie). What would they be? Everyone would want good health, more time, and more brilliant opportunities, so something along these 🙂
Great answers all, and I don’t mind a bit if they’re right here. Haven’t heard of Head in the Clouds, but I’ll have to check it out now. Definitely agree with your Matrix answer. A fake ideal world may be nice to visit, but it should never take the place of reality.
The Vern said:
Holy Shiznet. I am beyond excited and happy to get this award. I promise I will work on this sometime in the next few weeks thank you so much
Awesome, Vern. Glad you’re glad!
Miranda of Violet's Veg*n e-Comics said:
This is great! I love all your answers, and your poem is great! I really enjoyed it 😀 Thank you so much for nominating us, I am thrilled and jazzed 😀
Thanks so much! You’re just as deserving.
Miranda of Violet's Veg*n e-Comics said:
Thank you very much!! 🙂
Pingback: Mystery Blogger Award 2017 | dbmoviesblog
Pingback: The Mystery Blogger Award: A surprising honor! – AniB Productions
Thanks so much for the nomination! I’ve really appreciated your commentary both on movies here and in the comments on my pieces…I know you were already nominated, but I returned the favor; at least my 5 questions are worth a look: https://anibproductions.wordpress.com/2017/02/10/the-mystery-blogger-award-a-surprising-honor/
Thanks for the return nom! It’s come full circle faster than I expected. I’ll be sure to answer your questions too.